Wednesday, July 6, 2011

2011: La Iglesia


I had my first Nicaraguan, Evangelical church experience last Tuesday. My homestay mom, Dona Ivania, asked me to accompany her, so I thought I would give it a shot. As we entered the open-air church, it started to downpour on the tin roof above, relaxing me. I continue to be comforted by the sound of the rain's pitter-patter. As the rain came down, the small congregation began to sing a sweet song saying, "Let god rain down on us." The song continued for about an hour, and as time went on, I watched many people sway to the music while weeping. The singing provided an outlet in which this amazing community could release their emotions. In places that bear such hardships, church remains a place in which people can come together and release pent up feelings.

No comments: