Wednesday, July 6, 2011

2011: The love of reading is learned


After having settled into a concrete pattern, I am starting to feel the forgotten tug at my heartstrings as I read more and more with Las Yahoskas. I returned to Nicaragua to see the library I started in a state of disarray. The books were disorganized, all the puzzles Nour, another Haverford volunteer, had purchased were left in pieces, and the posters I had made were in a corner. Despite this, it is clear that the girls have been using the books, which is a start.

Reading books is the first step, but easy access to books that a child can comprehend is the next step. The library needed to be reorganized, cleaned, and revamped. The girls need to be taught how to organize and maintain the library without volunteers doing it for them. Having learned many things from my Teach for America experience, I have come to realize I did a poor job of teaching library procedures to the girls. Building this notion into my volunteer plans, I now realize that I gave the girls fish without teaching them how to catch the fish themselves. Over the past week, Nour and I have spent many hours organizing, planning, cleaning, and teaching. The fishing practice has begun. Details to come!



No comments: